Workshops on End-of-Life Communication and Shared Decision-Making
Pre-Congress Workshops at the World Congress of Intensive Care
· Suitable for ICU doctors of all levels and ICU nurses
Monday 14 October 2019
Meeting Room 110, Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre
Workshop, 1300-1630hrs - AU$185.00, includes lunch from 12noon to 1.00pm
The workshop will be similar to the highly rated workshops held at previous ANZICS and CICM Conferences.
13:00 – 14:30: Ethical principles, legal requirements, communication, patient values
From “informed consent” to “shared decision-making” and how to get there
14:30 – 15:00: Afternoon tea
15:00 – 16:30 Case-based small group discussions to on how to deal with “difficult” cases
Role plays by convenors to demonstrate communication techniques
Note: the workshop will be completed in time for the delegates to immediately move to the Congress opening.
· Presentations on ethical principles, legal requirements, communication, patient values,
· Moving from “informed consent” to “shared decision-making” and how to get there.
· Demonstrated role plays by convenors to demonstrate communication techniques
Workshop learning outcomes
Participants will be able to respond to the following:
· What are the ethical principles and legal requirements of EOLC?
· How do you ensure Shared Decision-Making?
· What’s the difference between informed consent and shared decision-making?
· How do we manage difficult cases?
· How do we prepare for and EOLC discussion?
· What do we say at an EOLC discussion and how do we say it?
· How do I handle the FAQs from the patient’s family?